Lessons Learned

Michelle and I are working through an interesting time with our oldest daughter Emma Kate. It's always surprising to hear what she says. When she speaks, we learn that she perceives and understands far more than we realize. Just yesterday I was browsing news articles on www.drudgereport.com when Emma Kate walks up. She looks at a picture of some politicians sitting around a table and said, "Is that John McCain?" I looked at the tiny image on the left-hand side of the article and indeed Mr. McCain was at the table. Michelle nor I have ever pointed him out to her. This provided me an opportunity to point out the bad guys in the picture as well: Schumer, Dodd, Obama, Pelosi! ; )

Another encouraging thing we are seeing in Emma Kate's life is her tenderness. She is beginning to understand those times when she needs to say she's sorry for things she's done without us prompting her to do so. I've been praying since Emma Kate was born that our Lord would put His Spirit in her and cause her to love Him more than her own life. Little things like uncoaxed repentance are incredible moments of encouragement that our great King is answering that prayer.

There are challenging times as well. Emma Kate often struggles when the wills of daddy and mommy differ from her own will, e.g., we want her to brush her teeth and go to bed; she wants to watch another episode of Little Bear. You know: it’s that struggle with submission to authority that we perfect as adults! :)

It struck me a couple of weeks ago as our pastor was teaching us about the pursuit of pleasure in Christ that I should check my discipline style. I confess that, out of frustration, I often default to a pop on the leg whenever Emma Kate's contumacious spirit rears up. There is certainly a place for corporal punishment, indeed a requirement. To sum Solomon here, "Better corporal young than capital when mature." Pastor Muzio's sermon caused me to realize though that God presents me with the promise of reward in harmony with the threat of discipline in my pursuit of Him. I want to model that for my children which means that I've got to balance the way I administer discipline.

Lately, instead of saying "Do this or you'll be punished," I say "Do this and you'll be rewarded." Emma Kate has responded quite favorably to this adjustment. Don't get me wrong, we haven't put the rod of discipline completely away, we are simply seeking to hold it with a velvet glove.

Brian

No comments: